Thursday, August 1, 2013

Dinner Tonight: Sauteed Mushrooms over baked polenta & strawberry spinach salad

Well dinner tonight was really yummy and really easy!

 Sauteed mushrooms over baked polenta & strawberry spinach salad

So I started with these ingredients: 
1 bag sliced and washed mushrooms
A small bottle of white wine.  I chose Gallo Moscato because I like to drink that.  yum.  You only need 1/4 cup to cook with so you could use from a bottle you already have.
Basil & Garlic polenta from Frieda's organic.  I found it by the tofu in my grocery store's produce section.
2 cloves of garlic
Olive oil
(Not pictured) margarine of choice (to make this vegan you can omit or use earth balance or another vegan spread)


 Salad:
About 2 cups of washed baby spinach
About 1 cup of strawberries, washed and sliced
About 1/4 cup honey roasted almonds but you could substitute candied pecans or walnuts...yum!
Lite balsamic salad dressing
I later decided to use White balsamic vinegar instead of the dressing
 
So to make this meal, set the oven for 375.  Slice up the polenta and put the slices on a baking sheet.
Set that aside and mince the garlic.  Then, in a small saute pan, heat about 2 tbsp olive oil and 1 tbsp margarine or butter on medium heat.  Then add the garlic and let it sizzle but not brown.  Now add your mushrooms and about 1/4 cup wine.  Cover and let cook.
Put your polenta in the oven and set your timer for 15 minutes. 

Now work on your salad.  Slice your strawberries and add to a bowl of spinach and sprinkle your almonds on top.  Beautiful!




I'll be showing you modifications of what I serve my kids.  I have a 10 month old and a 3 year old so I often make modified versions of our meals for what they can and will eat.
So I scooped up some of the salad and put it in my hand food processor.  Then I set my little helper to work!
Good job Eisley!
It turned into something like a pesto and Cora loved it!


Now your mushrooms should be tender so uncover and cook off some of the liquid.  Be sure not to let too much of it go, you want some sauce!  When it's done, remove from heat.
Take your polenta out of the oven and add one slice and some mushrooms to the now empty food processor for the baby if you have one!

To serve, lay 3 polenta slices on the plate and top with some mushrooms and sauce.
Serve your salad and drizzle with your vinegar.
My daughter Eisley ate it exactly like we did but with only one polenta slice and boy did that kid eat every bite!

Here's another look at this deliciousness!
Some thoughts:
If you are not vegan, you could make some yummy modifications: add a sprinkle of parmesan cheese to the served up mushrooms and polenta and or add some feta to your salad.  mmm
Next time I make this, I will not reduce my sauce down so much and I will try either broiling or pan sauteeing the polenta to give it some crisp.

Please let me know if you've tried this recipe!  I'd love to hear from you!




1 comment:

  1. Way to go Kalley! Great to get Eisley involved! Looks sooooo yummy & healthy!

    ReplyDelete