Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Farmer's Market Pasta

We recently moved about 25 miles from our old home.  My husband and I both work in the city we moved to and I have really been looking forward to the small town feel and family friendly events they always plan.  I've been taking my girls to their downtown farmer's market every Saturday and my instagram has been focused on all our delicious finds every week.
So this Saturday evening I decided to use a lot of the veggies I picked up to make a delicious pasta dinner.  I have to say, this pasta far exceeded my expectations!  I expected it to be yummy but I seriously could NOT take a bite without telling my husband "holy crap this is so good!"  He felt the same...score!  And the best thing is, it works really well reheated or cold.  The flavors have even more time to meld that way!
Ok let's get down to it.

Farmer's Market Pasta





 

You can swap out various vegetables (yellow squash and portabella mushrooms would be great additions) but here are the ones I included:
2 zucchini
1 red onion
1 red bell pepper
1 green bell pepper
1 lb pasta
1 cup cheese of choice (I used feta but parmesan or mozzarella would be great)
olive oil
salt
seasonings (I used oregano, parsley and a pampered chef seasoning mix called "Sun dried tomato herb seasoning mix")
I also added some fresh basil
Pine nuts (optional)  I didn't have any but man, it would've been so good!

Directions:
Set your oven to broil.  Start a large pot of water to boil.  Wash and cut your vegetables.  The zucchini, I quartered them lengthwise, then sliced them about 1/2".  All the rest, I cut into 1/2" chunks.  Put all your veggies on a rimmed baking pan and drizzle GENEROUSLY with olive oil.  

Season up with your chosen seasonings and put it in the oven on the middle rack.  Now cook your pasta according to package directions.
If you have pine nuts, carefully toast those puppies in a small saute pan.
When your pasta is done, drain it and set aside to cool a bit.  Stir your veggies occasionally so they don't burn and are evenly coated.
Your veggies are done when they are easily pierced with a fork but not mushy.  Stir your pasta, veggies (with olive oil from the pan) and cheese together.  This is when you'll add any fresh herbs too.  Check your seasoning now and add salt if needed.

That's it!  You're done!  Eat and enjoy!!

If you have a baby like I do, just grind up this delicious harvest and serve it up!  Nothing better than fresh veggies for your babe!

No comments:

Post a Comment